Monday 2 May 2011

Horrorbubble - The Sentinel

I watched The Sentinel last night, and this movie is five shades of fucked up. Of course, I LOVED IT.
And no no no, I don't mean that crappy secret service, guns and romance pap from 2006, I mean the lurid and lush horror from 1977.


70s horror, oh how I love you. As far as I'm concerned, the only movies made should be 70s horror... with maybe a couple of 80s numbers thrown in. Rosemary's Baby, The Omen, The Exorcist, Alice Sweet Alice, Stepford Wives, Black Christmas.....*sigh*

There's just so much to be excited about: The colours! The camel toe! The weird cameos! The bizarre religious imagery! The kinky sex!

They are indeed, the ultimate combination of Kitsch AND Kill. Disco outfits and stabby-stabby. Hearts to you, 70s horror!

So I was all ready to blog about The Sentinel and all of its fine 70s attributes, then I remembered that I found this movie via the amazeballs horror blogger, Final Girl. And she wrote a review of it that I could never challenge. She is one witty motherfucker. With incredible taste in horror. You should read it, so click here. (I hope you've realised that things underlined and in pretty colours are clickable by now, but hey, we all get interwebby spazzykins sometimes).

But I will mention the one thing that bedazzled me throughout this movie....

(apart from being badly distracted from the scariness of the dead-risen-from-hell scene by a man who looked like he had terribly infected testicles hanging from his chin; that's him on the right -- it was wobbly and WEIRD)


...the magical and dashing presence of.....BURGESS MEREDITH!


With a canary and a creepy-ass cat! "Black and white cat....black and white cake...eeeeeee" (watch the movie and you'll know what the hell I'm on about)

I love Burgess, ever since the days of Clash of the Titans and Santa Claus The Movie (mega hits when I was a kidlet). And no shit, I just found out he narrated Twilight Zone The Movie, which scared FUCK outta me as a kid. Plus, he was the original Penguin in Batman. Conclusion = BURGESS MEREDITH RULES!



And hosts crazy parties for killers, apparently.

For any horror fans, I highly recommend following Final Girl. She does super-funny summaries of a huge range of horror, and fucked up comic strips to boot. I heart you, Final Girl. I will always look to you for horror lurve.

Do YOU have a favourite 70s horror you want to recommend? Cos I need MOOOOOORRRRE.

PS Now I'm fucking busting to watch Clash of The Titans again. Harry Hamlin, HURRAH!

No comments:

Post a Comment